Sunday, March 6, 2011

Trombone Swans

The only thing clear from these photos of trumpeter swans at the mouth of Prairie Creek is that I need a better lens.  I shot these through my binoculars.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they are trumpeter swans, rather than tundra swans, for two reasons:I didn't see any yellow on their beaks (my binoculars are much better than my lens-plus-binoculars), and the ruckus they were raising was a few octaves lower than any of the recordings of tundra swans I'm finding online today (maybe they should be called trombone swans).

There were sixteen of them in this flock, six bright white adults and ten gray and white juveniles.  The juveniles spent most of the time I was watching popping their heads up and down and calling - trying to get some action out of the adults, who were trying to enjoy a Sunday afternoon nap.




No comments:

Post a Comment